Personal Survival Techniques
This is our 1.5 day/12 hr. Personal Survival Techniques Course.
Day 1 Classroom Portion-8 hrs
Day 2 Pool/practical assessments-4 hrs
Successful completion of this course and presenting this Certificate of Training will satisfy the Personal Survival Techniques training and competency requirements of STCW Code, as amended 2010, Section A-VI/1, Table AVI/1-1 and 46 CFR 11.302(a)(1) and 46 CFR 12.602(a)(1); AND have performed all practical demonstrations as guided by the applicable section within the Basic Training NVIC 08-14. Applicants are not required to present completed record of assessment sheets when applying for the STCW endorsement.
To see if you qualify to take this course go to Basic Training Checklist
Pool Practical Assessments
Students will be graded at the pool for the Practical Assessments, which includes, but not limited to:
- Jumping from a height into the water
- swim with a lifejacket
- tread water without a lifejacket (timed)
- getting into an immersion suit (timed)
- righting an overturned liferaft
- getting into a liferaft with lifejacket/immersion suit (unassisted)
- streaming a drogue or sea anchor.
Pool Training Requirements
- Please bring swimming trunks/bathing suits with you too the pool (locker rooms at location).
- Both men & women need to dress appropriately during the pool/practical assessments of this course. No tiny bathing suits.
- You must bring a shirt with you to get in the pool. We will be doing practical assessments on using clothing to help keep you afloat.